Despite the hype, it did measure up to my expectations and the following are the reasons why.
- In the midst of scores of movies about lovers, gangsters, mindless comedies, here comes a movie with a very relevant theme and treats it with sensitivity and maturity. The fact that Aamir Khan chose this particular topic to make a film about is its biggest plus-point.
- The absolutely beautiful songs. The lyrics move you to tears; of sadness, of joy, of hope! The music and picturization are the icing on the cake.
- The performances of the actors. Everyone from the child, to the parents, his brother, his friend to Aamir Khan have done an excellent job.
- The message that this movie conveys. That "every child is special" is so important, especially these days in India when parents are so worried about their kids academic and financial futures that they become blind to the individual "specialness" of each child.
- That the hero's name is one that sounds more like an ordinary person's. I was so sick of all the Rahuls and Rohans and Prems and Rajs.
- Finally, Aamir Khan....He is reason enough to go see "Taare Zameen Par", at least for me!